Friday, August 21, 2009

In Memory



My dear boy,

The photograph posted here is of your grandfather (my dad) with your great-grandfather (his dad). Both of these fine men are gone now, your great-grandpa some years ago when I was a teenager and your grandpa just a few years ago now. A more detailed posting of who they were will follow later, but for now, just know that I wanted to show this photo to you. The pure simple joy shown here is amazing to me. When I see this picture, I always feel proud for some reason. Proud that I know the men in it. I remember looking at old black and white photos of relatives I never met when I was kid, and if you are anything like any other well-adjusted child/young adult, your eyes will glaze over as mine did. But some day you may care and so that is why I am here today writing this, yes? What I hope you take away here is not that you are obligated to feel tied to these men, although if I do my job here well you may, but that at the end of the day, it is truly only the joy that is remembered. These men were not perfect men. They did not always get along well and both of them had vices and tempers and all sorts of other imperfections. But as I remember them today, they both loved their families, enjoyed an adventure, loved to fish, and cooked a mean steak. I love you my boy.

2 comments:

  1. That's right, Mason! Whether you know it or not, you got the "fishing gene!" ;o) And, I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we can't wait to watch you catch your first one!! :o)

    So many "firsts!!" You turned one month old this week. Your Grandpa Trusler and I spent that night at a Def Leppard concert. There were many little boys in the crowd. And, that's another "first" we're looking forward to with you: "Mason's First Rock Concert!!!!" :o)

    "Horns" and Hugs!!
    ~Grandma Trusler (lisa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to share my memory of your grandpa with you - that would be your mother's father. My fondest memories of him came after I had my son - it seems he warmed up to me as Stephanie's best friend, kind of accepted that I was a fixture in your family, and I brought Dalton over to swim one day, and he sat out with us and smoked cigarettes and we took pictures. He seemed to enjoy having a young one around I noticed & that day I felt a certain kinship with him... like this was my family, too. I know he would have really loved you a lot. He was always very accepting of his children, your uncle Roy & your mother. When trouble came, he was there, and when we showed up anytime, he was just always Roy. You could count on that, and that is nice. We would have these big dinners & get togethers at Nini's, in Shawnee, wonderful food, nice big house, pool, lots of people - I would always look over at your grandpa & he seemed very dignified to me. He never raised his voice or seemed ruffled - he really had this calming air about him, even from the first days I was around, and believe me, we gave him reason to get his feathers ruffled plenty! I went to your grandpas's funeral, Mason, and I want you to know, it was beautiful. There were so many flowers, and I know your grandpa went straight to heaven. I prayed for him from Oklahoma City to Shawnee (about a 45 minute drive), as my husband silently drove us to the funeral. That day was probably the first time I ever saw yourfather's pure love for your mom. His face was all red from crying, and your uncle Roy had lost it. It was a really sad day. I remember holding your mom in my arms & we hadn't seen each other for awhile. She was beautiful that day, and I remember thinking how young she looked to be here. They played the Beatles cause that's what your grandpa liked. I'm proud of your mom for not letting his memory be lost, and I hope you will soak in the stories we share. I never had a friend of my dad tell me anything about my grandpa or anything like this... I think it would have been so neat & cool to have heard the stories from friends & family alike! Once again, Mason, I love you dearly!

    ReplyDelete